Detox Massage: Manual Lymphatic Drainage
Manual Lymphatic Drainage is a form of massage that stimulates the lymphatic system with gentle massaging strokes. The light rhythmical massage encourages the lymphatic system to eliminate metabolic waste products, excess fluid and bacteria. The technique was invented by massage therapists Dr Emil and Mrs. Estrid Vodder in the early 1930s.
The effects of Manual Lymph Drainage are numerous and include general benefits to the nervous and muscular systems. MLD is a great addition to other detox measures, as it encourages fluid flow in the connective tissues.
The lymphatic system is composed of lymph vessels, lymph nodes, and organs. Part of the body’s defense system, the lymph nodes remove microorganisms and other foreign substances. They act as a filtration system that keeps particulate matter, such as bacteria, from entering the bloodstream.
Stimulating the lymphatic system through manual lymphatic drainage will activate all of the above functions as well as encourage fluid circulation and cell regeneration. Both actions promote detoxification, facilitate healing and support the immune system.
“The lymphatic system has a vital role in the body by regulating the immune system, which protects the body against infection. It transports nutrients to cells and eliminates metabolic wastes, toxins and excess fluids from the body. Manual lymphatic drainage is also a very effective way of detoxing the body plus stimulating vital immune defenses. This is a powerful, deep cleansing treatment.” Explains David Goddard, ND
Manual Lymphatic Drainage benefits are numerous and include:
- Clearing areas of congestion such as swollen ankles, puffy eyes and swollen legs
- Promotion of scar tissue healing, torn ligaments and sprains.
- Post-operative healing
- Swelling relief following plastic surgery
- Treatment of lymphedema and other conditions arising from venous insufficiency
- Improving chronic conditions such as sinusitis, arthritis, acne and other skin conditions
- Deep relaxation
Do it yourself: Simple Lymphatic Drainage
- Gently place your fingers, relaxed, on either side of your neck right under your ears
- Gently move the skin in a downward motion towards the back of your neck
- Repeat 10 times by gradually positioning your fingers lower and further down from your ear.
- Place fingers at the top of your shoulders on either side of the neck
- Gently massage by bringing the skin closer to the collarbone
- Repeat 5 times
Like Manual Lymphatic Drainage, the Detox Bath is an effective detox technique that you can practice in the comfort of your home. Based on an ancestral detox technique created by Louis Kuhne of Leipzig, the father of detox, in the 1880's, it is proven to encourage toxin, waste and fat elimination. The Detox Bath's working principle is to refresh the core area of the body (groin) during 10 minutes daily. This effective detox technique uses only water to enhance the body’s healing capacity as well as improve body tone and skin radiance